Cymru/Wales: Bipolar Nation

Total Pageviews

Monday 20 February 2012

Anglo Saxon Attitude


Wales are playing England in Rugby on Saturday next at Twickenham. I hope that England win! Whilst the 'Prince of Wales' feathers is still on the Welsh Jerseys I will be supporting the opposition. It's hypocritical of me because the soccer team I support 'Wrexham FC', the only team in North Wales have the Feathers as part of their crest. Soccer is a very different game to Rugby. Soccer was Rugby before the buffoon William Webb Ellis picked the ball up at Rugby School and ran with it. Well I wish he had kept running. Rugby Football is an oppression. I played it from an U 15 level at school and when I came down to Kairdiff I stupidly joined Cathays High School Old Boys as Hooker. It was in my 'Losers' Script. Whatever team I played for, we always lost! Playing against Liverpool College we lost to a record 127-0. Even the Referee couldn't stop laughing at how bad we were.
As you may have guessed by now I go a lot on emotion and the vibe. When I realised what a lot of 'Toff Toss' like oppression school was I used to bunk off and go and watch Wrexham playing football at the Racecourse. Much of my anti 'Anglo-Saxon attitude' must hark back to this period when I lived in an area which didn't know whether it was English or Welsh, the Vale of Clwyd. The Liverpool overspill. Welsh was spoken in the countryside, English was the language of the towns of Ruthin, Denbigh and Mold.
Nick Griffin lives in Mid Wales, you know. The leader of the British National Party lives near Carno in Mid Wales and the last time I drove past, he had a Panzer Kampfwagon parked on his drive. He has even hosted Jean Marie Le Pen, the former leader of Le Front Nacional, in a Marquee in a field across to his house. Nick doesn't want to live next door to aliens and foreigners in England so he moves to Wales where we'll gladly have him. We'll have anybody!
Now 'i cadw'r ddesgil yn wastad'/ to keep the dish evenly filled, I have to say that I reserve the same amount of disgust at my fellow countrymen as I do towards the upper echelons of the Political Wing of The British National Party, namely the Conservative Party. We in Wales are satisfied in beating England at Rugby in the Six Nations! If that happens, then its heads down again. We have beaten the 'auld enemy' in a contact sport. That'll do! It doesn't matter that a certain strata of society are running our country. There never was a class system in Wales until the Anglo Saxon Attitude crept in after the Act of Union. A friend from University said " It's very unnerving to feel like I built the castles and was part of Edward I's army, they seem to hold me personally responsible".
We are a dumbed down nation, happy to drink S.A Brains firewater and laugh at their advertising campaign likening Twickenham to a toilet. Let me tell you, Wales is the toilet, and we have taken a lot of shit over the years. Don't worry, this is not a member of Plaid Cymru talking. I left them over twelve years ago.

 "Come on England"

1 comment:

  1. I know that, in general, we Welsh are a bunch of sycophantic,forelock tugging "llyfwyr tin" and that many of us are International day patriots. It sickens me to see how enthusiastic we get over, what is, just a game and treat it like a battle, but I cannot find it in my heart to support England at any price. (And I have to own up to three English grand-parents)

    ReplyDelete

Death by Taxes

"Individuals and businesses not paying the tax they should deprives the government of the funding it needs to provide vital public serv...

Blog Archive

Bottom of the Ottoman

Hitler navigates the A487 from Aberaeron to Aberystwyth

Goodreads

David's books

How To Be Idle
Second Sight
Freud: The Key Ideas
The Yellow World
Intimacy: Trusting Oneself and the Other
Going Mad?: Understanding Mental Illness
Back To Sanity: Healing the Madness of Our Minds
Ham on Rye
Electroboy: A Memoir of Mania
Memories, Dreams, Reflections
Mavericks
Murder in Amsterdam: The Death of Theo van Gogh and the Limits of Tolerance
On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft
I Bought a Mountain
Hovel in the Hills: An Account of the Simple Life
Ring of Bright Water
The Thirty-Nine Steps
A New Earth: Awakening to Your Life's Purpose
The Power of Now: A Guide to Spiritual Enlightenment
The Seat of the Soul


David Williams's favorite books »

Bottom of the Ottoman