Cymru/Wales: Bipolar Nation

Total Pageviews

Saturday 24 March 2012

Gorgeous Librarians!


I am still tamping! Tamping is a Wenglish word meaning angry, furious. Tamping fires down maybe? Well the Revolving Doors of Cardiff Central library seem to be working again but today's library story involves Penylan Library which is a Library come Community Centre come gym on the corner of Roath Park Recreation at the bottom of Wellfield Road. I was over there this morning with my friend and his two children, we played football, had an ice-cream and then went in to the library to do some reading. I found a Welsh Vocabulary book for children and we started to read. Whether my booming voice was too loud, whether it was the Welsh that was not appreciated but the Librarians' assistant asked us what we were doing! When told that we were teaching and learning Welsh, she said "I think you might need permission, I'll have to wait for the Librarian to come back" With that I rose, the shackles on the back of the Bipolar Beast rose to meet the challenge. I said "And I thought Libraries were meant to be the seat of learning". With that we arose and left! 

I now realise that after my limited dealings with this cities' librarians, that libraries are there for the benefit of Gorgeous Librarians and not for the General Public. I mean really, if they wanted to deal with the great unwashed, would they have introduced the machines that now scan and record your library borrowings? Machines that on their introduction caused a lot of confusion with the elderly population. 

I have reason to be grateful to one librarian in particular, a librarian who was so helpful when I was in captivity! well I felt like I was back in Captivity this morning but the librarian had morphed into a woman with ashes on her tongue. 

This morning, I am tamping less and in re-draft I feel that perhaps it was more a matter of noise than the actual language used, however this little incident goes to prove what I mentioned very early in the blog, that I have a trigger switch and I scan the environment for anything that will confirm my bias. I have observed too much apathy, and I am guilty myself of apathy but the moment I get my arse in gear and do something, like Teaching Welsh Vocabulary, I am told that I need permission.   

Ok scrub that last paragraph, it had nothing to do with noise. I was there yesterday and the noise level was a lot louder than when we were reading out loud and we were there today and in the Computer Suite we observed the same 'librarian's assistant with attitude' admonish someone for eating.

I don't know what it is but this is getting pathological. I'm starting to see Cardiff's Gorgeous Librarians as miserable killjoys. I appreciate that order and decorum must be maintained but there is no consistency of behavior and attitude across the Capital City. In some libraries, the librarians themselves are so loud that you want to shout shush!

After the Bradford  Spring under George Galloway if the Shark Fishing in Wales Party get elected at the elections in May then I shall demand that Kairdiff Librarians undergo attitude training. 

I thought it was just me that suffered from 'Delusions of Grandeur'









No comments:

Post a Comment

Death by Taxes

"Individuals and businesses not paying the tax they should deprives the government of the funding it needs to provide vital public serv...

Blog Archive

Bottom of the Ottoman

Hitler navigates the A487 from Aberaeron to Aberystwyth

Goodreads

David's books

How To Be Idle
Second Sight
Freud: The Key Ideas
The Yellow World
Intimacy: Trusting Oneself and the Other
Going Mad?: Understanding Mental Illness
Back To Sanity: Healing the Madness of Our Minds
Ham on Rye
Electroboy: A Memoir of Mania
Memories, Dreams, Reflections
Mavericks
Murder in Amsterdam: The Death of Theo van Gogh and the Limits of Tolerance
On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft
I Bought a Mountain
Hovel in the Hills: An Account of the Simple Life
Ring of Bright Water
The Thirty-Nine Steps
A New Earth: Awakening to Your Life's Purpose
The Power of Now: A Guide to Spiritual Enlightenment
The Seat of the Soul


David Williams's favorite books »

Bottom of the Ottoman