Cymru/Wales: Bipolar Nation

Total Pageviews

Tuesday 20 May 2014

Bipolar Nation

North Wales v South Wales, Gog v Hwntw, Welsh Speaker v Non Welsh Speaker, Rugby v Football. Yes, I am convinced that I live in a Bipolar Nation. A country of extremes. The Principality? We have many types of Welsh Person, The Capelwr v The Cyfryngwr, there's another one for you. We cannot just wish life back into the Welsh language. The tension is killing me. Knowing that we are being turned into a McDonald's 24 hour Drive In. Saunders Lewis called it 'yr unfed awr ar ddeg' in 1962. Rather than these tiny badges with 'Cymraeg' on them, we should be wearing High Visibility Jackets like the Highways Department. Tory Minister of Pakistani origin last week stating that all new immigrants should speak English. Imagine if that was passed in Law in the Riotous Assembly down Kairdiff Bay. Campaign for Caernarfon to be the Capital of Wales. The 'Working Class' of Cardiff that I have spoken to, resent the Assembly and all the 'Welshies' coming into their city. We were never Welsh is their refrain. Finding somewhere to belong when you are Bipolar in a Bipolar Nation is very difficult. You are expected to fulfil roles and to be a certain kind of person. Every time I write or speak English I feel like a 'Bradwr'. This is the language used by the Oppressors who built all those castles. A man of my hairstyle and kidneys should be using one of these languages to make money but I am like the proverbial 'Gwningen' stuck in the headlights. So another day behind dark glasses beckons for me, because it is going to be sunny and because I don't want anybody looking into my eyes, into my soul. I don't want an ordinary person who doesn't care about the things I care about to be disturbed. They have grocery shopping to attend to, a meeting to go to, coffee to drink, a shit to take. Why do I care about my Bipolar Nation so much? Oh land of extremes, should I go and live in England, turn my back on you? Shall I go and live on top of a mountain with a sheepdog and black cat for company?  I'm afraid the status quo is untenable because I am turning into bitter white trash.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Death by Taxes

"Individuals and businesses not paying the tax they should deprives the government of the funding it needs to provide vital public serv...

Blog Archive

Bottom of the Ottoman

Hitler navigates the A487 from Aberaeron to Aberystwyth

Goodreads

David's books

How To Be Idle
Second Sight
Freud: The Key Ideas
The Yellow World
Intimacy: Trusting Oneself and the Other
Going Mad?: Understanding Mental Illness
Back To Sanity: Healing the Madness of Our Minds
Ham on Rye
Electroboy: A Memoir of Mania
Memories, Dreams, Reflections
Mavericks
Murder in Amsterdam: The Death of Theo van Gogh and the Limits of Tolerance
On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft
I Bought a Mountain
Hovel in the Hills: An Account of the Simple Life
Ring of Bright Water
The Thirty-Nine Steps
A New Earth: Awakening to Your Life's Purpose
The Power of Now: A Guide to Spiritual Enlightenment
The Seat of the Soul


David Williams's favorite books »

Bottom of the Ottoman