Cymru/Wales: Bipolar Nation

Total Pageviews

Wednesday 22 October 2014

Circuitous Route


Today I done a circuitous route guy! I could ave walked down Corpi Rd like but I stuck close to the river down the Taff Embankment. I had a big brown envelope in my hand and I was going to hand it in down the Docks cos I still can't bring myself to call it the Bay. It was in Mount Stuart Square. I goes over Clarence Rd Bridge like, looking out for the Grangetown Whale but I couldn't see it. The White Hart was shut and boarded up. You knows yous getting old when all the boozers you used to drink in have all shut or been knocked down. I turns into the Square and the Coal Exchange is surrounded by Bi-lingual hoardings with signs saying "We don't know what the F***K we're going to do with it". Heritage fighting Developers in a pitched battle on James Street. The Street now with Estate Agents end to end. I presses the buzzer and takes the stairs instead of the Victorian lift, nice though! I passes the smoking trendies on the way in, avoiding eye contact in case of youthful judgemental stare cos this old man wants to be a writer like and is putting in a bid for funding. Top Floor, the disconnected voice doesn't even look at me but says 'Diolch'. Now how did she know that I spoke Welsh or woz she just trying to belittle me guy? I woz on one. I ran down the stairs screaming like a banshee, out into the fugue, turns left. Got to go and get ink for my printer sos I can keep writing like cos its a drug man and I passes the old Butetown station which is now going to be turned into 43 cool one and two bedroom apartments from £97,000. Cool? It will be cool for those disconnected voices who smoke I suppose. What a fine old building left by 'wilful neglect'. Where are those Heritage people when you needs them guy! Scarper it's an estate agent, they never sleeps and they don't take a lunch break neither.          


So I'm walking up Bute Street like one of Baudelaire's Flaneurs like, making sure not to maintain eye contact. Quick darting glances can surely do no harm. They have sanitised Bute Street. They've made it neater, cleaner, squarer. It's obvious that now they have no time for the old buildings. Caerdydd is Car Country. The Capital City where the Spontaneous Combustion Engine is king and where Central Library is shut on a Wednesday.


I gets to the top of Bute Street just before where the PDSA used to be and see that that, has now been privatised. Where do all the poor people go now with their pets? Because it's only dogs that can offer poor people unconditional love because if you haven't got a smokey disconnected voice you ain't gonna get one of those flats for £97,000. Social Engineering and Class Cleansing, Cardiff City Council Stylee.

Just as I start muttering to myself, Jesus whispers to me from the bushes. 'Get a job mate. You've got too much time on your hands. You're noticing all the shite things that Pilate doesn't want you to notice" "Right ho Jesus", I says and makes my way to the Job Centre in Charles Street cos they're bound to have jobs in there and I forgets to get my printing ink and my dreams of becoming a writer.

1 comment:

  1. Horrified to read that the global gentrification process is sweeping through Cardiff streets too.....full of twenty and thirty something 'hipsters' no doubt, it will all be chichi food outlets that plan your menu for you as you are sooo busy drinking your doppio macchiato....*sigh....as you may have guessed it is happening here too...life is meaningless if you don't live inside the city ring

    ReplyDelete

Death by Taxes

"Individuals and businesses not paying the tax they should deprives the government of the funding it needs to provide vital public serv...

Blog Archive

Bottom of the Ottoman

Hitler navigates the A487 from Aberaeron to Aberystwyth

Goodreads

David's books

How To Be Idle
Second Sight
Freud: The Key Ideas
The Yellow World
Intimacy: Trusting Oneself and the Other
Going Mad?: Understanding Mental Illness
Back To Sanity: Healing the Madness of Our Minds
Ham on Rye
Electroboy: A Memoir of Mania
Memories, Dreams, Reflections
Mavericks
Murder in Amsterdam: The Death of Theo van Gogh and the Limits of Tolerance
On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft
I Bought a Mountain
Hovel in the Hills: An Account of the Simple Life
Ring of Bright Water
The Thirty-Nine Steps
A New Earth: Awakening to Your Life's Purpose
The Power of Now: A Guide to Spiritual Enlightenment
The Seat of the Soul


David Williams's favorite books »

Bottom of the Ottoman