Cymru/Wales: Bipolar Nation

Total Pageviews

Monday 19 January 2015

3rd Anniversary Guest Blog Post

So today it's the 3rd Anniversary of the Shark Fishing in Wales or Pysgota Siarcod yng Nghymru in Welsh. Today is the day I’m publishing my very first poetry collection, and today is the birthday of American horror short story writer Edgar Allan Poe. 
So what should I write? Well I’ll just start writing and we shall see.
With the owner of this page we have many similarities, one of them is the mania for writing. I was in high school 14 years old of age when I tried to write a play, heavily imitating Shakespeare, then a few years afterwards when I was 16 I wrote 3 more plays imitating Shakespeare not so imitating this time. In my last year in high school when I was 17 I had just begun writing my first poems, very absurd but they entertained me a lot when I was bored in class. I put them all together in a notebook that is now lost and I gave it the title “Blätter der Dichtung“ which is German for Leaves of Poetry. In loving memory of that lost early collection I gave my today's collection the name 'Leaves of Poetry' and this collection contains 69 poems most of them in English some in Greek, Cypriot Greek and one in Spanish.
I have to say I started writing in English for the first time in Spring 2009 and I wrote a story in English for the first time and I won the first prize in that year. This gave me the push and impulse to write more, and then I started writing plays in English and poems too, one or two of these are being anthologised in my collection.  I think I have to stop praising myself with what I did and what I do, it’s time to say a few words about the reason I write, the reason that many writers choose to write. I love literature and I want to express myself in the same or similar way other writers do. Literature and especially poetry is like psychoanalysis. The page on your desk is Herr Freud and you are the patient or rather visitor. I say whatever I feel and I write it on the page. If I like it, I keep it if I don’t, I keep it, but hidden. I might revise it but the essence is that I just lifted a weight off my chest. Whenever I am angry or happy or worried I write down  a poem and the creature/poem I have created as another Victor Frankenstein I see it as my child so I won’t leave it alone and I won’t show it to anyone unless I am sure for it. Showing my writings to others is like getting into an amphitheatre stark naked like a new born baby exposing my naked flesh to everyone. That’s pretty hard for anyone to do, and that’s the true with me. When someone asks me to read one of my poems it’s like asking me, “Take off your clothes”.
I said I have to stop praising myself but I still go on and on but I promise after giving you a brief introduction on my collection I will move on and talk about how I met Red Button, or David Williams or Dafydd Williams.
So I am publishing today my first poetry collection called Leaves of Poetry. This is my first poetry collection. I have been writing poetry since high-school as I said earlier on but these last two years, my poetry became more poetic and more appropriate for an audience besides myself. Writing poetry and theatre are the two major forms where my language is flowing easily, and where sometimes you don’t need to revise it a lot of times, because most of the time it comes from the soul and soul doesn’t need revision, only a few times, and these occasionally. This poetry collection contains 59 poems in English, 6 poems in Cypriot Greek, 2 in Greek and 1 in Spanish. This indicates my love of languages as well. Some of my (English) poems are a collage of words from different languages all stitched together making another multilingual creature.  
I will just leave the description of my poetry collection as it is and I will just add a short poem from it and the picture of my cover.

[Look at the sky]

Look at the sky
It’s blue again
Let’s go out
Let’s go out and play
Let’s go out while we have time
Let’s go out and play before it’s too late
Ð
Eight bells are chiming
A clear sound, the sign
For us to go out,
For us to stop what we are doing
For us to go out
For us to go out and play, while we are still young
Ð
The grandfather’s clock is chiming
Every chime is a step away
From proper dreams,
From fairyland
Each chime is the time that passes
We grow up but we still have time
Let’s go out and play

Kyriakos Sorokkou Manchester 2014

Now it’s time to say a few words about how I met David. He said that there was no need to praise him or mention him but I can’t just write a guest article in someone else’s page praising myself like a vain Dorian Grey. So I think I have to say a few words. It was in early October 2013 when we first met and talked in the first session of the MA for Playwriting. He asked me a lot of things about Cyprus and its history and culture and I was answering every question delighted to speak about my tiny island country. And so every week we had a meeting for the course and there we took a chance to talk about Cyprus, teaching, theatre and writing. Then in early December David played the father of George one of the two characters in a play that I wrote in 2011 and revised in 2012. Through this active reading I saw my characters become alive and I saw some flaws and we were all discussing them. So the following days I started revising the play once again (Letters from a friend) Then I came  to Cyprus for Christmas holidays and then I went back to England and we started having extra meetings for coffee too, talking again about teaching literature, society and writing. We also had a few culinary trips in Manchester (Afghan Cuisine) and Liverpool (Caribbean Cuisine) and a few visits in galleries and museums. Then it was time for me to leave but through the power of Facebook we kept the contact and we’re waiting for our next physical (in person) meeting in a café or a kafeneion (Greek Cypriot traditional coffee shop). I have nothing more to say than, Happy anniversary to the Shark Fishing in Wales and many good returns to his owner.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Death by Taxes

"Individuals and businesses not paying the tax they should deprives the government of the funding it needs to provide vital public serv...

Blog Archive

Bottom of the Ottoman

Hitler navigates the A487 from Aberaeron to Aberystwyth

Goodreads

David's books

How To Be Idle
Second Sight
Freud: The Key Ideas
The Yellow World
Intimacy: Trusting Oneself and the Other
Going Mad?: Understanding Mental Illness
Back To Sanity: Healing the Madness of Our Minds
Ham on Rye
Electroboy: A Memoir of Mania
Memories, Dreams, Reflections
Mavericks
Murder in Amsterdam: The Death of Theo van Gogh and the Limits of Tolerance
On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft
I Bought a Mountain
Hovel in the Hills: An Account of the Simple Life
Ring of Bright Water
The Thirty-Nine Steps
A New Earth: Awakening to Your Life's Purpose
The Power of Now: A Guide to Spiritual Enlightenment
The Seat of the Soul


David Williams's favorite books »

Bottom of the Ottoman